[Avodah] Chazal are Infallible

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 19 13:24:26 PDT 2006

On Thu, September 14, 2006 10:44 am, Kohn, Shalom wrote:
: Let me just say that I commend the gemara in Sukka to the list's
: attention, and you will see that chazal, rashi and tosafot are
: struggling with the relationships in a way that an elementary school
: child today would not.  Further, the gemara reflects a desire for
: precision (to establish shiurim for a kosher sukkah) which is belied by
: the suggestion of our posters that the "rules" were only intended as
: approximations.

The shiur of a round Sukkah was given by R' Yochanan. They then had to
reverse-engineer the sevarah, as well as what R' Yochanan meant. Moreover,
they couldn't just use the geometry, they had to use geometry as per the din
for precision for sqrt(2) and pi.

I do not see the gemara struggling with the math, but with peshat in R'
Yochanan. And many math majors needed to sit down and pen and paper to follow
the shaqla vetarya.

: Why do we assume Chazal had a good "secular" education, and more
: particularly, since we are dealing with shiurim to be yotzeh according
: to halacha, why would chazal NOT be as precise as possible?  Again, see
: the gemara I cited.

Simply because a good poseiq does not voice an opinion without researching the
metzi'us. This is true today, and it is a safe assumption about Chazal. I'm
not saying that they deduced that pi is irrational from the Torah. Rather,
that no baal mesorah would have gone on record without knowing pi as well as
they could turn up with solid research.

IOW, since the Bavliim of their time knew Greek math, why assume any opinion
considered seriously enough to get into shas doesn't reflect hitting the local
experts and their libraries?