[Mesorah] רעמסס

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jan 1 05:05:35 PST 2024

On 1/1/24 13:11, rabbirichwolpoe via Mesorah wrote:
> the nikkud for the word "Rameses" in Genesis 47:11 versus the nikkud for
> that same word as it appears in Exodus 1:11 are different.
>
> Genesis 47:11 would seem to be pronounced "Ra-me-ses" whereas in Exodus
> 1:11 the pronunciation would seemingly be "Ra-am-ses". I was wondering
> if you have any insights as to the reason for this discrepancy?"

It's quite simple, actually, and not a dikduk thing at all.

Ra`meses is a region within Goshen, which is a region in Egypt.
Ra`amses is a city in Ra`meses.

If you think that's confusing, consider how the Capitol is a building in
the capital.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”