[Mesorah] רעמסס

galsaba at aol.com galsaba at aol.com
Mon Jan 1 01:46:52 PST 2024

I read the nice post in Avoda, and I saw that some commentaries claim that these are two different places. I could not find however what the reason for this sevara is.In my opinion these are two different places. The one in Eretz Goshen must be a rural place. Bene Yisrael came there with their sheep, they had to be in the countryside. Indeed it says "BeEretz Ramses.
The other one, mentioned in Shemoth, was a town that they built. Urban. The word "ערי", "towns", is mentioned here.
The name רעמסס is made of two words.
רע, Ra, is the God of the Egyptians.
The other part מסס reminds me the word missim:וישימו להם שרי מסים...ואת רעמסס
The dagesh in the letter samech in the word Misim, is due to the dual Samech in the word מסס
We should not be surprised to find names of town or people that sound similar. The word "RA" appears in many of the Egyptian names:פרעה, פוטי פרע, רעמסס
Aharon Gal201-414-7190

    On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 10:22:48 PM EST, Akiva Miller via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

 I asked this question on Avodah 3 years ago.Here's a link to that issue:http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol38/v38n117.shtml#03
It only got one response, and it is in that same issue.Spoiler alert: You only mentioned two of the five psukim.It also appears in Shemos 12:37, 33:3, 33:5.Akiva Miller
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 9:11 PM rabbirichwolpoe via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

>From a colleague:"Another dikduk peculiarity i was wondering about: the nikkud for the word "Rameses" in Genesis 47:11 versus the nikkud for that same word as it appears in Exodus 1:11 are different.
Genesis 47:11 would seem to be pronounced "Ra-me-ses" whereas in Exodus 1:11 the pronunciation would seemingly be "Ra-am-ses". I was wondering if you have any insights as to the reason for this discrepancy?"
ויגש
בראשית פרק-מז {יא}  שביעי
 וַיּוֹשֵׁ֣ב יוֹסֵף֘ אֶת-אָבִ֣יו וְאֶת-אֶחָיו֒ וַיִּתֵּ֨ן לָהֶ֤ם אֲחֻזָּה֙ בְּאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם בְּמֵיטַ֥ב הָאָ֖רֶץ בְּאֶ֣רֶץ רַעְמְסֵ֑ס כַּֽאֲשֶׁ֖ר צִוָּ֥ה פַרְעֹֽה: