[Mesorah] וישב ל"ח י"ב הוא

Yitzhak Ajzner yitzhakajz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 22:50:29 PST 2023

Just saying: a Zakef makes absolutely no sense at all!

This is how the 2nd half of the verse divides up (from Michael Perlman’s Humash):

Putting a zakef on “hu”, means this section splits on that word, which would make the verse incomprehensible.

The real question in this verse, is why is the main break in the 2nd half of the verse on HaAdulami, and not on Yehuda. Timnata modifies Va’ya’al, and has nothing to do with Va’yinahem. By putting the main break on HaAdulami, it seems like it also modifies Va’yinahem, but it doesn’t. Although it would require quite an effort, that can be explained.

Yitzhak