[Mesorah] V'kamu n'dareha

Yitzchak M. Gottlieb zukigottlieb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:03:07 PDT 2021

On Jul 12, 2021, at 02:20, Danny Levy <danestlev at gmail.com> wrote:

> ‫בתאריך יום ב׳, 12 ביולי 2021 ב-0:19 מאת ‪Yitzchak Gottlieb‬‏ <‪zukigottlieb at gmail.com‬‏>:‬
>
>> On Jul 11, 2021, at 15:20, Danny Levy via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>>
>>> In the first parasha of Matot there are 3 p'sukim with similar wording in their second halves:
>>> 30:5 and 30:12 - V'kamu kol n'dareha v'chol isar asher as'ra al nafshah yakum.
>>> 30:8 - V'kamu n'dareha ve'esareha asher as'ra al nafshah yakumu.
>>>
>>> In 30:5 and 30:12 the major division of the half pasuk is indicated by a zakef katon on n'dareha.  This is to be expected, as each of the two phrases has its own verb.
>>>
>>> In 30:8, however, there is a r'via on nedareha.  The major division of the half pasuk is not there but at the tipcha under nafshah.  This is surprising, as the result is that both v'kamu and yakumu refer to both n'dareha ve'esareha.  Two essentially identical verbs appear to be unnecessary.  A zakef katon on n'dareha would appear to be more logical in this pasuk also.
>>> Any explanation?
>>
>> Is it possible that the that the second part if the פסוק is broken up like the first?  (As it is in the other two.).
>
> Your first suggestion is interesting but it would need some support from other places to show that the Mesorah sometimes forgoes the precise division of p'sukim in favor of a more harmonious trop sequence.

R’ Danny,

Breuer (chapter 15, 24) brings a long list of example where the precise division of the פסוקים is ignored in favor of other considerations.  In addition, there a many cases of a מפסיק become a משרת, e.g. 10.3, and the reverse, sometimes (seemingly) for musical reasons.  (Breuer brings these as well; see 2.74 and 2.75)  There is even discussion that certain exceptional/unusual sequences are there to recall another פסוק that has similar wording and טעמים.

You are correct however, that I don’t have an example of an unusual sequence that exists for purposes of parallelism.  I was hoping one of the other members would have a better source.

Zuki

--
Yitzchak M. Gottlieb
zukigottlieb at gmail.com