[Mesorah] "Teven" at the end of a pasuk

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 19:02:24 PST 2021

I was surprised to find that the word "teven" occurs at the end of several
pesukim (Shmos 5:7, 5:10, 5:12, 5:13) *without* changing its pronunciation
to "taven".

I was *going* to ask this learned chevra if there might be other such words
which remain segol-segol even at the end of a pasuk, but I was surprised at
how quickly the example of "melech" came to my mind. Bereshis 14:17 and
49:20, Esther 1:5 and 7:4, are just a few examples of "melech" at the end
of a pasuk. Looking through my concordance, I was unable to find any cases
where it changed to "malech".

So I'm not going to ask why "teven" and "melech" are exceptions to the
rule. Rather, I am learning the lesson that Rabbi Mandel has told us so
many times: There are no iron-clad rules, only *general* rules, which were
born to have exceptions. And as such, the exceptions should not be so
surprising. The same way that the sh'va of "shtayim" ("two") is a sh'va
nach despite being on the first letter, so too do the segols of "melech"
remain so despite being in the last word.

Why? Because that's how languages work, that's why.

To reiterate: I am not asking any questions here. I'm simply bringing it to
the attention of the chevra in case anyone else didn't notice it, or wants
to comment.

Good Shabbos to all
Akiva Miller