[Mesorah] three consecutive shvas

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 04:58:52 PDT 2021

R' Ahaon Gal asked:

>>> Can anyone explain to me what the problem is?
>>> I looked at the Hebrew/English ArtScroll Chumash, the Hebrew Devarim
only) Arstctoll Chumash, Tikun Kor'im Simanim, Taj (Yemenite) Chumash, and
other Chumashim.
>>> In all of them the word "ularmela"  וּלְאַרְמְלָא verses 19, 20, 21 is
spelled the same way.

I don't have any of the Chumashim you listed, but I have three others, and
they are the same as yours.

Apparently, the problem is only in the new ArtScroll Onkelos, where all
three are spelled with a tav near the end.
In 19 it is spelled with a shva on the mem: וּלְאַרְמְלְתָּא
In 20 and 21 it is spelled with a patach on the mem: וּלְאַרְמַלְתָּא

I'm glad that I have not yet alerted ArtScroll to this, because now the
question is more complicated: Should the tav be there or not?

Akiva Miller