[Mesorah] Question on the word Mevarchecha

Aharon Gal galsaba at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 05:14:06 PDT 2020

It is interesting to know why Onkelos did not choose words that would make his translation more clear.
In P’ Balak:
מְבָרְכֶיךָ בָרוּךְ וְאֹרְרֶיךָ אָרוּר
Onkelos translated to:
בְּרִיכָךְ יְהוֹן בְּרִיכִין וְלִיטָךְ יְהוֹן לִיטִין:
which is not the exact translation of the words, but it is the translation of the meaning, and it makes the translation clear.

Sefer "Yeyn Hatov” did not translate the words
וֶאֱבָרֵךְ מְבָרְכָךְ וּמְלַטְטָךְ אֵילוּט
only
וְיִתְבָּרֲכוּן בְּדִילָךְ כֹּל זַרְעֲיַת אַרְעָא
I am curious to know why he did not translate..

My understanding is that the Yerushalmi translated as singular:
וַאֲבָרֵךְ מַאן דִי בְרִיךְ יָתָךְ וּמַן דְלַיִיט יָתָךְ יֶהֱוֵי לִיט

Kol Tuv,

Aharon Gal