[Mesorah] A typo in my Chumash?

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Oct 25 08:15:38 PDT 2020

It should be well known that early mss. of the Torah and T'NaKh have many differences in male' and chaser.  Even the Leningrad Ms. is dificient in this respect, having many, many cases where it differs not only from other mss. but from the Masorah that it has in its margins.  Menachem Cohen wrote a 100-page essay describing the matter at the end of the volume of his Miqra'ot Gedolot -- HaKeter on Y'shuvua' and Shoftim.
In particular, old Ashkenaz mss are particularly not so careful in male' and chaser.
I do not have a list of all the cases.  In Breuer's work on reconstruction the Masoretic text he brings differences between his 8 or so first-class mss. But that does not include Ashkenaz mss.  If you cannot find the source for the chaser spelling there, it is probably from an Ashkenaz ms., particularly in view of the fact that you found it in the Hirsch Chumash.
I assume you checked it against R. Wolf Heidenheim's edition.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice and Fax (212) 613-8330        e-mail mandels at ou.org