[Mesorah] Shmeih -- Mapik Heh

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Sep 13 06:24:59 PDT 2019

Yes, I am aware of the Tosfos.  Unfortunately, what I said about the AhS applies also to this.  There is NO nafqa mina regarding the mappiq he.  The third person masculine singular possessive suffix in Aramaic is  eH, with the he pronounced. Don't take my word for it.  Open up a T'NaKh, look at the first ocurrence in Sefer Doniel 2:6:
חֶלְמָא וּפִשְׁרֵהּ
"the dream and its meaning."
As we have talked about in the past, for some reason that I do not  know, knowledge of Aramaic disappeared in Ashkenaz very early, apparently by the 11th Century.  That is the reason given by the Rishonim as  to why the reading of the Targum when reading the Torah was cancelled there, since no one understands Aramaic (!!!). Of course, the rabbis who learned the G'moro learned the meaning of the words there, but as far as knowledge of Aramaic grammar goes, it was apparently gone.
So it should come as no surprise that Ashkenaz rabbis could make a comment like "if it means 'His name' it is without a mappiq he.
The reprobate Yemenites, who never changed their customs from the time of Chazal, still say the Targum, with a mappiq he at the end of every third person singular possessive suffix (masculine -eh, feminine -ah).

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel