[Mesorah] Hoshanot: Samech vs Sin

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Oct 27 14:00:42 PDT 2019

It is quite complicated.  But my point was that in Massoretic Hebrew, sin and samekh were two different spellings for the exact same thing, and also according to the Babylonian and EY tradition of vocalization.
So it should be NO surprise that as far back as the G'onim, any words that began with the /s/ sound were considered to come alphabetically before the  ‘ayin, regardless of how they may be spelled in the T'NaKh, and that from the time of the G'onim (and certainly before) words were spelled with a samekh and not a sin.
The point was that historically, there certainly were 3 different sounds, but by historical times (i.e. the beginning of a written  record), all Semitic languages that we know of had only two. This applies even to ancient  Akkadian. It is just that different languages collapsed the three into two in different ways, and the consonantal spelling of the T'NaKh reflects a language where samekh was different from the shin, which represented one sound, as it did in Phoenician and northern spoken Hebrew  as evidence by the story about sibboleth (that also applies to the Samaritan pronunciation of Hebrew, because they, surprise surprise, were from the north of Israel). In their reading, shin and sin are pronounced the same, but different than samekh.
So do not worry about the history. As far as Jewish Hebrew goes, sin and samekh were the same, going back to the time of the First Temple in the South.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel