[Mesorah] Hoshanot: Samech vs Sin

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Oct 20 12:54:04 PDT 2019

It is more complex than that.
It is clear that at one stage in Semitic languages there were three distinct sounds. A major proof is that roots with samekh in the T’NaKh have an /s/ sound both in Hebrew and Arabic, whereas roots spelling with sin always have an /sh/ in Arabic, and roots spelled with shin always have an /s/ in Arabic.
So there were three sounds (let’s call them A, B, and C), which collapsed into two in all known Semitic languages, but in different dialects and languages they collapsed in different ways.
In standard Hebrew and Aramaic, B and C (the ones written by sin and samekh) became identical. In Arabic, the ones written by A and C became identical. In Phoenician and Northern Hebrew, the ones written by A and B became identical.
Hebrewuses an alphabet developed in the north and Phoenicia, so we have the same letter for two different sounds, distinguished by the Massoretes by dots. And Biblical Hebrew uses the old spelling, even though it does not show the pronunciation.
In later Hebrew and in Aramaic, view of George Bernard Shaw, that the spelling should reflect the pronunciation, not any history, won, and so they spelled sin with a samekh to reflect that in their Hebrew it had always been the same.

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>