[Mesorah] An unusual form

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Mon Dec 2 10:23:39 PST 2019

In Gen. 26:29 which we read last Shabbos it says
כט אִם-תַּעֲשֵׂה עִמָּנוּ רָעָה, כַּאֲשֶׁר לֹא נְגַעֲנוּךָ, וְכַאֲשֶׁר עָשִׂינוּ עִמְּךָ רַק-טוֹב, וַנְּשַׁלֵּחֲךָ בְּשָׁלוֹם
As you would expect, the Masorah notes that unusual form תַּעֲשֵׂה, and marks it with a dalet every one of the 4 times it appears in the T'NaKh.  The first is missing in the Aleppo Codex, but the other good mss. in the first case all have not only the Dalet, but list all the cases in the Masorah Gedolah.
Although the form appears correctly in all the Chumashim and T'NaKhs that I have, I do not recall it being pointed out to me when I was young, and I know that some ba'ak koyes are not aware of it.  This is just one example of the unusual forms noted in the Masorah, but ignored by grammar books because they do not fit the "rules" of grammar.  As you know, the Masorah is only interested in descriptive grammar, not prescriptive.
I never was taught about this form, and only discovered it years later.  I cannot find it mentioned at all in Gesenius. BDB does have the form, but only in two of the occrurrences. Rosenstein/Even Shoshan lists all 4 places correctly.
Since my education was lacking in this regard, I would like to ask the denizens of Mesorah the following:
1) Were you taught about the existence of this form? If so, where: in school or from someone teaching you to lein?
2) Are you aware of grammars that mention this form?
3) Are you aware of any chumashim or T'NaKhs that have an incorrect form?

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel

Legal Disclaimer

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. You must not use or disclose them other than for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete or destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Any privilege or confidentiality pertaining to this email and attachments is not waived by reason of mistaken delivery to you.