[Mesorah] Kimchi's rules

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 17 12:22:32 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 03:01:54PM -0400, rabbirichwolpoe wrote:
: A dageish chazaq is a bar *over* the vowel before the lettter to bedoubled. Like the shin in shabbos."Like the SHINOrthe BEIS???RRW

The shin. like I wrote, "a bar *over* the vowel before the letter to
be doubled." Which is why I gave the example as clarification.

Think of it in syllables. The shin owns the syllable, so we pile the
syllable's vowel and anything about how the syllable is closed on top
of that letter.

Which is why a sheva nach has no symbol in their system. It always
closes a syllable, not opens one, so its letter would get no syllable
info. Instead, the previous letter says "hi, i open a syllable that
ends with the entire next letter" -- a line below the vowel, above
the letter.

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller