[Mesorah] Kimchi's rules

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:32:01 PDT 2019

Further to R' David's clarification, I think that the following may be a
good example of a difference between a rule of dikduk and a masoretic rule.

One of the rules of trop (a masoretic rule by all counts) that is easily
verified by looking anywhere in Tanach (except for Sifrei Eme"t) is that
the mesharet of a tvir is a darga if the te'amim are separated by two or
more syllables, and a mercha if the te'amim are adjacent or separated by
only one syllable.  In this rule a shva na is counted as a syllable,
whether it is a shva na at the beginning of a word (e.g. Gen 15:7 and Num
17:11) or a shva na under a letter with a dagesh chazak (e.g. Num 34:5 and
Deut 1:30).
A shva after a Kimchi long vowel, however, is not counted as a syllable,
e.g in Ex 9:15 and 12:22.  Evidently the Ba'alei Hamesorah considered such
a shva to be nach.

Danny Levy

‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 16 באפר׳ 2019 ב-21:44 מאת ‪David and Esther Bannett via
Mesorah‬‏ <‪mesorah at lists.aishdas.org‬‏>:‬