[Mesorah] P. Metzora 14:6 Hash'chutah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 16 08:56:56 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 07:55:21PM -0400, rabbirichwolpoe wrote:
: RMB:
:> Now, if you say the Radaq's rules contradict those, at least then
:> we're be grappling with two of the same kind.

: Lots of people seem to be aware of a gap between Masorete rules and
: Radaq rules I have a hard time believing that no one has written this
: up in some kind of scholarly paper by now.

I don't see an answer yet in this discussion to my more fundamental
question.

Wheree are the mesoretic rules of grammar documented? Are we referring
to Ben Asher's Diqduqei haTe'amim?
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/dikdukeiHaTeamim.pdf>

Because if we are deducing rules ourselves from the mesoretic text and
notes, how can we say whether the patterns the Qimchis are objectively
right or wrong? Especially since a rule needn't be 100% accurate to
be a real rule. (Between all languages having exceptions to the rules,
and the intentional violations for the sake of derashah or to otherwise
make a point...)

How can we talk about two rule sets contradicting without first being
clear that both positions posit rules and what each of those sets of
rules are?

Micha Berger                 Life is complex.
micha at aishdas.org                Decisions are complex.
http://www.aishdas.org               The Torah is complex.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                                - R' Binyamin Hecht