[Mesorah] How widespread is ignorance of Hebrew?

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Apr 14 12:00:09 PDT 2019

Those are NOT proofs.

As is well known, the yanuhu bah, bo, bam is something adopted from the Abudarham, IIRC.  It is not present in any old mss. siddurim. You might as well argue that Shabbos can be plural.

The qomatz issue requires a lengthy discussion, demanding too  much time  to write it before I go overseas tomorrow.

Suffice it to say that a lot of grammar you have been taught is just like the English rules to say I shall, you will, we shall.  This is grammar that was made up by a grammarian, but has no basis in fact.

(As is the prohibition of the "double negative" in English. English, like many languages, uses a negative particle for each word in a sentence: I never did nothin' like this never nohow.  It was standard in all English, including Beowolf, Chaucer, Shakespeare, until a a grammarian decided that it was not logical. That grammarian was a linguistic ignoramus).

Be very wary of any "rules" you see in grammar books.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org