[Mesorah] How widespread is ignorance of Hebrew?

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:10:15 PDT 2019

> There are many explanations... <
...and I'm sure RSM (to whom I wish a r'fua shleima b'qarov!) is familiar
w/ at least two of them: "hagadol" is a reference to (a) the end of the
haftara; and (b) grownups (IINM, RAM quoted the S'fas Emes on this in this
past week's JEC [of Elizabeth, NJ] parasha sheet).

> the truth is that Shabbat can be of either gender <
As opposed to, say, "layla", yet we say "Mah nishtana halayla hazeh...",
and I don't think the phrase was created by someone ignorant in grammar.

Chag Pesach Kasher v'Sameach!
and all the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA