[Mesorah] "P'nimiyus"

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Tue Jun 5 12:40:37 PDT 2018

You know me by now with my interest in words and terms. Sometimes the origins of words and term can tell us a lot.

Chasidic writers talk a lot about "pnimiyus haTorah." Since we all know what the word means, I never paid attention.  But recently I saw someone who claimed that the Ari and the Vilner Gaon talk about p'nimiyus haTorah, which made me pause.  AFAIK, both of those source talk a about the qabbolo and the sodos of qabbolo, but I do not recall either using the term "pnimiyus haTorah."

I may be wrong,

Does anyone know a use of the term "pnimiyus haTorah" before Chasidus started?

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel