[Mesorah] a kleinigkeit

Toby Katz tobykatz613 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:20:38 PST 2018

>>  Regarding the word "hamibb'li," all printed Chumashim have the
punctuation as is above, with a hataph-patah under the he'.

However, that is not the punctuation in the kisvei yad that represent the
Ben-Asher masorah.  Rather, all of them, without exception have a full
patah — WITH a ge‘aya/AKA meteg.  As the meritorious members of this group
are aware, that means that the syllable "ha" is lengthened and has a
secondary stress.<<

--R' Seth Mandel

.>>>>>

I am not in a position to weigh in on the dikduk or the trop here, but it
occurs to me that there may be a semantic aspect to this discussion.
Usually a "he-hasheila" indicates that what follows is a question, i.e., a
request for information.  But in this case the pasuk is not a request for
information.  It is a rhetorical question, a sarcastic statement in fact:
"You had to bring us to the desert to die?  What, there weren't enough
graves in Egypt?!"  And that's why here "a lengthened ha with a secondary
stress" may be indicated, in contrast to the usual short ha with a
chataf-patach when an ordinary question is being asked.

--Toby Katz

t613k at aol.com