[Mesorah] Fwd: Re: Vayikra 19:24

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Tue Apr 24 12:48:49 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mandel, Seth <mandels at ou.org>
Date: April 24, 2018 at 4:48:25 PM GMT-3
Subject: Re: [Mesorah] Vayikra 19:24
To: Danny Levy <danestlev at gmail.com>

I am out of the States, so I did not get back to you before, and expected someon else to answer.
It seems to me that since you have 3 adjacent p’suqim, all 3 of which start with referring to a year, there is an attempt to use the same arrangement for the time phrase.
On the first and third, the year phrase is subordinated to another part of the pasuq.
A qeisar is qualitatively different from other trop, whether it be silly or etnahta. So to make the parallel smoother, they avoided having a qeisar on the year phrase in the second pasuq.
After reading all 3 p’suqim through several times with the trop, that is what seems to me.
IOW, the parallelismus overrides other considerations.
Parallelismus is underrated in its importance in most grammars. In practically every case, parallelismus also changes the words into a “pausal form,”
Seth Mandel