[Mesorah] kikar / kikar

Sholom Simon via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Mar 25 18:57:17 PDT 2017

At 09:04 PM 3/25/2017, Richard Wolpoe wrote:

>I'm gussing it has to do with 'smichus' and not the pausal.
>
>Patach would be  in S'michus

That was my first thought -- and I looked at Onkelos, who translates
"zahav" into "d'd'hav" (meaning smichut) in both places.

Then, over shabbos, I looked at a number of chumashim.  All of them
had d'd'hav in 25:39, but only some of them had d'd'hav in 37:24,
others had d'hav.

So: it's not clear whether it's smichus or not.

On the other hand, if it is: then what does 37:24 mean, and why is it
not the same as 25:39.  It sure _seems_ like Torah is trying to tell
us "a kikar of pure gold" in both places

-- Sholom