[Mesorah] kikar / kikar

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 26 07:00:31 PDT 2017

As is my wont, I come to add a ha'penny to R. David. And I thank him for mentioning Adam haRishon, which provides me with an opening for what I wanted to say Isince in the time of Adam haRishon, all the languages had not yet separated):

In the a language's store of tricky, slippery words, some of the most slippery are loan words.  This word is treated as a loan word in Aramaic: in the Targum, the Teimanim pronounce it as kakra, i.e. the second kaf d'gusha, but not doubled.  The Targum has many words that do not follow the Hebrew rules of dagesh kal and chazaq: the most common ex. is pithghama, with both the p and g soft, since that is the way it is in Persian, and also the way it is in Biblical Aramaic  Since it is neither kakk'ra nor kakhra, the Targum is treating it as a loan word. The word is also attested in the Elephantine papyri, where it is knkr; that would probably indicate that it had a doubled k, since ReichsAramäisch regularly dissimilates doubling as in the future of y-d-‘ being yinda‘.

Indeed, its form makes it almost impossible for it to be a Semitic word, with the same consonant in both the first and second place in the root. (I do not know what BDB does with the word; I cannot find it where it should be; other sources struggle with it.)

With a loan word, the transition from qomatz to patach in s'mikhut would not necessarily hold true.

As for what is "correct," that all depends of what you mean by "correct" (I will appeal for help again to Dr  Dumpty for that discussion).

For what it is worth, the Teimani Taj has a qomatz in both places, going back to the earliest Tijan we have.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel