[Mesorah] All that glitters may not be...

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 19 07:02:03 PDT 2017

You are correct that gold ore or nuggets cannot become tame'; they are considered stones and earth.

But once the gold is smelted and refined and cooled and in a shape it can be considered a keli; unless one has specific intent to bang it into a specific shape, and then it cannot become tame' until the makkeh b'pattish.

So if they were refining gold to make the kelim, it would all be tahor.  And since one cannot make the kelim out of "gruta'ot," i.e. pieces of metal, the case is close, and "tahor" cannot mean "not tame'".

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org