[Mesorah] All that glitters may not be...

Micha Berger via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 18 16:05:43 PDT 2017

The reverse... all tum'ah is associated with human gashius -- niddah,
death.... Tum'ah in the spiritual sense is likely borrowed from the
physical usage. As is common for spiritual terms -- serafim, ruach,
nefesh, neshahmah, chayos haqodesh, ofanim... Perhaps: that which
adulterates the soul with the habits or identity of the body.

On 2017-06-18 6:54 pm, Mandel, Seth via Mesorah wrote:

> But it cannot mean tame.  All the k'lei sharet are broght to the miqva when they become tame' if they are from metal.  So they could just bring the gold to the miqva before making the keli.
>
> Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
> Rabbinic Coordinator
> The Orthodox Union
>
> Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org
>
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: Mandel, Seth
> SENT: Sunday, June 18, 2017 6:18 PM
> TO: mesorah at aishdas.org; Akiva Miller
> SUBJECT: Re: [Mesorah] All that glitters may not be...
>
> An excellent question.
>
> I wish I knew what the problems of counterfeiting gold were in Antiquity, and then I woudl have more on which to venture an answer.
>
> Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
>
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: Mesorah <mesorah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org> on behalf of Akiva Miller via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>
> SENT: Sunday, June 18, 2017 3:58 PM
> TO: mesorah at aishdas.org
> SUBJECT: Re: [Mesorah] All that glitters may not be...
>
> R' Seth Mandel asks what "nechoshes" means. I would ask a
> possibly-related question: What does "tahor" mean in these contexts?
>
> How do we understand the common phrase "zahav tahor"? (I counted about
> 7 occurrences in Shemos 25, and elsewhere too.) The translation is
> simple enough - "pure gold" - but what sort of impurities are we
> warned about? Must the gold be free of tumah, or must it be free of
> alloys? I've never noticed any clue as to which meaning is intended.
>
> Connecting this to RSM's query, I looked in my concordance, and was
> surprised to find zero occurrences of "kesef tahor" or "nechoshes
> tahor". Gold was the exception. There were plenty examples of "zahav
> tahor", but still, they were outnumbered by the cases of just plain
> "zahav". (I did not attempt to look for patterns of when the pasuk
> uses "zahav" vs "zahav tahor". It is probably a good idea to try
> that.)
>
> I'm tempted to guess that "tahor" means "unalloyed", and that while
> alloys of silver and copper were acceptable, the gold had to be 24K.
> That's a bit surprising, because gold is the softest of the three, and
> therefore it is the most needy of being alloyed when used in
> construction. Then again, maybe the miraculous nature of the Mishkan
> is precisely why the softest metal was the one to remain so.
>
> Or, maybe "tahor" relates to tumah. In which case I have to wonder why
> they could use tamei silver and tamei copper, but not tamei gold.
>
> Akiva Miller
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Richard Wolpoe via Mesorah
> <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>>
>> Fwiw
>> Olympic medals are made of Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
>> No doubt in my mind that they saw Nechoshes as Bronze, at least in the
>> general‎ sense

 		Micha Berger
 		   _One who kills his inclination is as though he_

 		micha at aishdas.org
 		   _brought an offering. But to bring an offering,_

 		http://www.aishdas.org
 		   _you must know where to slaughter and what_

 		Fax: (270) 514-1507
 		   _parts to offer. - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv_

Links:
------