[Mesorah] Feminine plural imperative

Joshua Meisner via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 24 09:16:47 PST 2017

R' Mandel,

I concede my lack of understanding, even after using the web to attempt to
comb over my ignorance of grammar, of the difference between the perfect
and imperfect forms that you describe.  "Hamiten" appears to be an
imperative and "tichtovna" appears be an indicative, while it sounds like
the distinction between perfect and imperfect would be one between "katav"
and "haya koteiv", and I can't even quite imagine what an imperfect
imperative would look like.

Be that as it may, how would we explain the difference between "kir'en lo
v'yochal lachem" and "k'rena li Mara", where the words seem to fill the
same grammatical function?  The suggestion of R' Teitz appears to fit this
distinction well.

Joshua Meisner