[Mesorah] mis-accentuation

David and Esther Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Thu Dec 21 09:04:29 PST 2017

I noticed that some posters recommended the use of m'tagim to aid in
correct pronunciation. One should realize that the number m'tagim in the
chumashim and tanakhim have varied.  The Mikraot G'dolot Venetzia, 1525
has many in the chumash and much less in different parts of na"kh. R'
Yekutiel Ha-kohen made rules about the m'tagim which resulted in a large
increase in m'tagim as the Torah was "modified" to meet the rules. R'
Shlomo Dubna removed some.  Heidenheim followed R' Yekutiel, R'
Mordekhai Breuer removed some. The Bar-Ilan reconstituted Keter used a
computer to get statistics on m'tagim and removed some more. It also
showed that R' Shlomo Dubna had sometimes removed the wrong ones.  Ohr
Torah , R' Menahem De Lonzano, wrote that the Ashkenazi Tanakhim had
much too many g'ayot and he was giving up on the enormous job their
removal.  He noted that the Ashkenazim called them me'teg and he calls
yjem, meteg l'chamor.

On m'tagim, I recommend using the photographed Keter at
http://www.aleppocodex.org/. As most of the chumash is missing from the
photographed Keter, for a complete Keter use the Bar-Ilan Keter which
can be found at http://www.mgketer.org/

Much has been posted about din d'chik and atei meirachik.  It should be
noted that what some call d'chik others call atei meirachik and vice versa.

bivrakha,

David