[Mesorah] Va'avadum v'eenu osam

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 4 07:17:22 PDT 2017

Sometimes even the most knowledgeable of us make mistakes.  I am by far not the most knowledgeable, and I make mistakes all the time.

But I am a devoté of Aramaic, and have been from my youth, and in the Teimani shul here I hear the Targum read every Shabbos.  So I will take the liberty of pointing out a small error in R. Zero's exposition:

When one wants to say "they made them work" in Aramaic, the verb p-l-h. is in the Af‘el, as in the last quotation he brings (w'aflah.u).  However, the verb in "w'yifl'h.un b'hon" is in P‘al/Qal, and so it must mean "and they worked utilizing them/through them." Otherwise it would be "w'yafl'h.u yas-hon."

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org