[Mesorah] aleph with a dagesh

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 16 09:26:02 PDT 2017

________________________________
From: Mandel, Seth
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:22 PM
To: Sholom Simon; Mesorah AishDas List
Cc: Micha Berger; Lori Linzer; debbyhowarth at aol.com; David and Esther Bannett
Subject: Re: aleph with a dagesh

I am not a chasid of all the attempts to uncover meanings in the Masorah before people understand the Masorah.

The Masorah was not a composition of grammatical rules.  It was an attempt to commit to writing the traditional way of chanting/reciting the Biblical text.  The Masoretic apparatus was part of that, a way of making sure that the way words were written and pronounced were preserved.

The tradiition was that the aleph was realized as a glottal stop.  In almost all languages with such a phoneme, it is sometimes elided and sometimes stressed, in addition to the normal pronunciation.

Just as the Masorah shows which cases the aleph is elided (by not having any vocalization and a rafeh sign above it), it shows the places where it is stressed by putting in a dagesh.

Only after understanding the totality of the Masorah would d'rushim become appropriate.  As was the case in Parshat Tzav, when various d'rushim of why the vayyishchat with a shalshelet reflects hesitation: the drush is based on ignorance of the Masorah, and ignorance of the intricacies of trop.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel