[Mesorah] oni - ev'yon

Ira L. Jacobson via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 7 23:56:53 PDT 2016

Klein agrees that the root is א-ב-ה .He states:אביון   אבה m.n. needy, poor. [Prob. from
and orig. meaning ‘desirous, longing,
yearning’, cp. Ugar. 'bjn. Late Egypt,
and Coptic ebien are borrowed from
Hebrew.] Derivative: . אבין

.אֲנִי-שָׁלוֹם, וְכִי אֲדַבֵּר; הֵמָּה, לַמִּלְחָמָה
I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war.
I'm all for peace, but the minute
     I tell them so, they go to war!
I search for peace; but when I speak of peace, they want war!
I am in favor of peace, but when I speak of it, all they want is war.

(Ps. 120:7)
mailto: laser at ieee.org