[Mesorah] Oleh veYoreid

Micha Berger via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 07:46:40 PDT 2016

Let's look at three examples of oleh veyoreid taken from Tehillim I found in
my siddur over the last few days:

In Ledavid H' Ori (#27), pasuq 4:
98:9, 27:4, 27:14

    ... shivtivi beveis H' Kol yemei chayai <esnachta>
    lachazos beno'am H' <oleh veyoreid>
    ulvaqeir behechalo.

There is only one request. So it would seem to me the 2nd and 3rd lines
expand on the first.  So why are they split by a greater mafsiq than the
two are separated from the phrase they expand on?

27:14, are we supposed to read the seifa as
    ... chazaq veyamaeitz libecha <esnachta>, veqaveih <ov"y>;
    el Hashem
? How does that work?

Third example, where parsing with ov"y as the greater mafsiq than esnachta
befudles me -- 98:9 (from Qabbalas Shabbos):
    ... yishpot teiveil betzedeq <esnachata>, ve'amim <ov"y>;
    bemeisharim.
Again, how does that work?

GCT, i.e. with berakhos that we are all among the olim next year, saved
from all yeridah or even esnachtos!

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507