[Mesorah] Seeking English-Language Dikduk Curriculum

Ephraim Rothstein via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 27 09:47:38 PST 2016

I am a reasonably well-educated yeshiva graduate who has come to the
realization that my understanding of dikduk hovers somewhere around the
abysmal. I don't know that my ignorance in these matters is unique in my
generation, but some time ago I determined to do something about it. After
looking around for several months, I find myself at a dead end. I don't
know if what I'm looking for simply doesn't exist, but I thought I'd
describe it in the hopes that someone here can offer some sound advice.

What I am looking for is a relatively sophisticated English language book
(or monograph, or shiur, etc.) written by/for a Torah faithful Jew, that
details the basic grammar (syntax, morphology, etc.) of Lashon Hakodesh
(Biblical Hebrew, not Mishnaic/Rabbinic).

I have found good grammars for Modern Hebrew, but the differences in the
language are fairly significant. There are many English-language Biblical
Hebrew grammars written by/for non-Jews (academics, theologians, etc.) but
I don't know how reliable these are in our Mesorah and in any event I
really can't bring myself to learn Lashon HaKodesh from a non-Jew; even if
it isn't heretical, it just doesn't feel right. Lastly, there are any
number of grammars written in Hebrew/Lashon HaKodesh (Gra, Ramchal, Malbim,
etc.) but I find it incredibly difficult to absorb the concepts when they
are written in another language and specially without the ability to draw
parallels to the grammatical system with which I'm already familiar.

The ironic thing is that there are several such books for Aramaic (e.g.
Grammar for Gemara by R' Yitzhak Frank). But I cannot for the life of me
find anything remotely like this in English, beyond seventh grade Binyanim
worksheets.

I have a generally sophisticated grasp of English grammatical concepts--I
may not be able to list off every verb form verbatim, but I can basically
tell the difference between a verbal and a gerund, between a mood and an
aspect, and between a subjunctive and an indicative. I genuinely believe
that have such an understanding of the dikduk of the Torah would
immeasurably enhance every aspect of my learning. If I've missed a book out
there that meets this need, please let me know; otherwise, if you can
suggest some sort of curriculum or combination of books that would lead me
along this journey, it would be very much appreciated.