[Mesorah] Bemidbar or Bamidbar?

Akiva Miller via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 7 16:47:21 PDT 2016

Thank you all for your contributions. I had a suspicion that I'd get a wide
variety of responses, and so it came to pass. Y'all can do as you like, but
as for me, I cast my vote with the post of R' Simon Montagu:

<<< I do know someone who says "Sazria", but IIRC he doesn't say "Fekudei"
or "Fara". >>>

Agreed. There seems to be no consistency whatsoever. Even among the most
pedantic, there are exceptions where they opt for convenience. As he
continued:

<<< Personally I don't think there's any necessity that the name of the
parasha has to be said exactly the same as written in the Torah. Other
examples where it isn't are Mishpatim, Shemini, Metzora, Matot and Devarim,
all of which have the definite article in the pesukim. >>>

And if we add "Bracha" to that list (you know, the one we read on Simchas
Torah), we reach *six* cases where we go farther than merely messing with
the pronunciation, but even the spelling gets amputated (to a degree much
further than just malei and chaser). That's over 10% of the parshios -
"miut hanikar".

Thanks all,
Akiva Miller