[Mesorah] Bemidbar or Bamidbar?

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 5 09:59:34 PDT 2016

On 06/05/2016 12:49 PM, Dov Bloom wrote:
> So if you drop the word Sinai for convenience,  what are you left with?

But nobody does that.  The short title is not simply the long title with
a word dropped.  It's an independent one-word title, that is properly
pronounced "Bamidbor".

I have recently (in the last ~5 years) noticed a lazy habit people have of
using a term that is in s'michut, and dropping the object "for convenience".
I find it very grating, and I don't recall ever coming across it earlier than
5ish years ago.  I do not believe that the one-word title of this sedra is an
example of that.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other