[Mesorah] vayichadd

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 26 04:57:29 PST 2016

On 01/24/2016 06:15 PM, Yaakov Gorlin via Mesorah wrote:

> What about the sh'wa in the bet/daled?  I've always assumed they were
> nach and exceptions to the rules of (a) two sh'wa in a row, first is
> nach second is na and (b) anything with a dagesh and a sh'wa also
> being sh'wa na. Is that correct

It must be.  By definition a sheva na` is one that starts a syllable,
i.e. precedes a "real" vowel.  A sheva nach is one that ends a syllable.
That's not a "rule", it's a definition, so it can have no exceptions,
(except shtei/shtayim, that is :-) )  The final letter of a word obviously
ends a syllable, despite any so-called "rule" to the contrary.

> While on that subject, what about the two sh'was in Rus 2:19 in
> Likatt (lamed, kuf, tes, tof).  Are they also two sh'wa nachs?  And
> if so, how can that be done with the tes and a tof?  I cannot help
> but make the first one (the tes) a sh'wa na

AIUI tes is a palatal T, as in "cattle", while tof is a dental T
as in "ten".  With some practice you can pronounce a palatal T
and then immediately slide your tongue to your teeth for a dental T,
with no discernable vowel between them.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week