[Mesorah] Melo Khol Ha'aretz Kevodo

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 18 20:12:56 PST 2016

I cannot perceive a difference here, and would attribute the different versions to poetry.
Sometimes, the difference in meaning is clear, but even then I think that poetic license may be at work.
Exampli gratia: bonei Yerushalim is the noun in construct, meaning "the builder of Y-m." Boneh Y-m is a verb form, and a brokho based on that would mean Blessed ... is He who builds (or is builiding) Y-m."
In Shmoneh ‘Esrei, we use the first form, since we are quoting from the pasuq in T'hilllim 147:2, where it is a noun form ("God is the Builder of Y-m").  But if somone used the form with a segol, would it really change the meaning?
Similar question would be relating to "m'chayyei hametim" vs. "m'chayyeh hametim."
Certainly different, but a subtle difference in meaning.  Micha may perceive a signifcantly theological distinction, and I would be happy to hear one.  But I think that the difference is these cases is mostly do to poetry.

Seth Mandel