[Mesorah] az + imperfect

Sholom Simon via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 1 09:40:01 PST 2016

So now I'm hopeless confused.  Re: Az Yashir you wrote:

 > Yes, it was a normal construction.  Not only used with "az," but
also with "terem."  They are always followed by a verb in the
imperfect (AKA future) tense, whether or not they refer to past or
future tense.

So, are the usages in  4:26 & 4:10 idioms?  Exceptions?  If
exceptions, is there a rule they follow?  (It certainly doesn't seem
out of the ordinary: 4:26 has "az amara..."  ("then she said"))