[Mesorah] az + imperfect

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 1 08:34:03 PST 2016

The fact that there is a specific morphological form used in a specific syntactical usage does not mean that the same morphological form can be used elsewhere with a different meaning.
Similarly in idioms. Pins and needles has a specific meaning involving neither pins nor needles. But both words cash be used outside that phrase in different meanings.
Languages are all very tricky and slippery beasties, reflecting the human mind. There is no such thing known as a "primitive language" that is not tricky and slippery.

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Sent from my iPhone