[Mesorah] tarum bishu'asecha ki lishu'as'cha.

Akiva Miller via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 22 20:18:33 PST 2016

R Michael Poppers wrote:

<<< The sh'va changes to a segol at a relatively-major stop.

<<< One of my favorite examples (a fav because it's a bit controversial
:)): at the end of nighttime Qiddush, do you say "[v'shabbas/umo'adei]
qadsh'cha" or "qadshecha"?  Whatever you answered, now consider whether on
Rosh haShanah you say "udvar'cha [emes]" or "udvarecha"...and when it's
also motzoei Shabbos, is the last word (before BAH') "biqdushas'cha" or
"biqdushasecha"?  (For nusach-Ashk'naz answers, see here.) >>>

Why do you call this "controversial"? Is there anyone who offers an
explanation for the segol in those cases, or even defends it without a good
explanation? I've always presumed the segol to be a typo that results from
people who confuse these longer phrases with the "qadshecha" of the Yom Tov
Amidah and of the regular Shabbos kiddush.

... pause here while I check the archives ...

On the other hand, I see that we already discussed this 17 years ago. See
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MOADAY KADSHECHA
and
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=K#KODSHECHA KODSHCHA

Akiva Miller

PS: My apologies if this post is not formatted well. I'm sending this from
my phone on the last day of a wonderful two weeks in Yerushalayim,
presuming that we're not zocheh to Moshiach in the next 18 hours or so. My