[Mesorah] the reversing vav

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Aug 30 08:47:03 PDT 2015

Yes, normally the form with a "reversing vav" would be v'yashavTA, with the accent on the last syllable.
In this case, however, it precedes and is tied to a preposition that is stressed on the fist syllable.  The stress then retracts and the preposition receives the doubling typical of such occurrences.
So one might find "v'yshavTA vaHem", but here it is "v'yaSHAVta bbAH."

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org