[Mesorah] the reversing vav

Sholom Simon via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Aug 30 08:33:09 PDT 2015

Dear Chevra (with a cc to two friends with whom I
was discussing this yesterday after mincha)

I noticed that the two verbs at the end of the
first pasuk and the first word of the next pasuk
(of Ki Savo) were the "reversing vav" types --
changing the verbs from past to future (virishta,
v'yashavta, and v'lakachta), but that only two of
them had the accent on the last syllable.

I was then trying to remember the reversing vav
rule and it's exception.  My best recollection was:

this rule (that the accent must be on the last
syllable) only applies to “perfect” (past) form,
not imperfect (future) form.  Further, it only
applies to “regular” roots – not roots of ???,
e.g., v’hanisi (you don’t put stress on the last
syllable) – but that rule also has an exception,
viz., unless the word comes before a word with a
guttural in which case you do switch the stress to the last syllable.

I guess I am unclear which roots are exceptions
to this rule.  Apparently Y-SH-V is.  But, as you
can see, in the above sentence, I put ??? where my recollections failed.

Can anyone explain this  better?

Thanks!

Shavua Tov -- and KvCT!

-- Sholom