[Mesorah] Shaarei Yashar or Shaarei Yosher?

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 06:17:32 PDT 2015

Which is the way it appears in the T'NaKh: 14 times, all haser (without a vav).
There is no way it could be Yashar, and only people who do not know Hebrew would pronounce it like that. Unfortunately, many graduates of day schools know more or less how to translate words, but have no knowledge of morphology or syntax.
Which is why I have heard many rabbis who have learned YD referring to "tzumas hagidim," rather than "tzomes." (True, the word is not in the T'NaKh, but the word is common by Chazal, including the phrase tzomes had'rakhim, and is punctuated that way in L'shon Chazal, and I heard many Rabbonim from Europe pronounce it that way).

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Sent from my iPhone