[Mesorah] Goy Gadol? or Gadol Atzum?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 7 18:54:44 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:51:30PM +0000, Mandel, Seth wrote:
: To wit: the whole system of trop is built on divisions, and subdivisions.  The classification of trop into Keisarim, M'lakhim, Sh'niym, and Shalishim, or whichever names you prefer (since none of these terms exist in the early sources), is quite useful for most p'suqim and clauses.  But it fails when used for a list.  Unless a list has subcategories, the trop used for the words is arbitrary in the sense that it follows rules of assigning trop if the meaning shows no major and minor elements.

I think it's simply that trop is after all cantillation. And therefore
serves functions other than aiding in the parsing of sentences.

It's not uncertainty, it's hidden variables. (My apologies to those who
don't get the physics reference. Suffice it to say I'm trying to be funny.)

Micha Berger             How wonderful it is that
micha at aishdas.org        nobody need wait a single moment
http://www.aishdas.org   before starting to improve the world.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Anne Frank Hy"d