[Mesorah] Goy Gadol? or Gadol Atzum?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Apr 6 04:04:27 PDT 2014

1On 2014-04-06 2:43 am, Michael Poppers wrote:

> One might
consider the association of "gadol" with "goy" stronger than that of
"atzum" or "rav" with "goy" just because there's a _tipcha_ on "gadol"
[the first of the three adjectives] -- in listing a series of three
adjectives, with the strongest _mafsiq_ of the phrase (noun and its
adjectives) on the third adjective, the Torah could have graced the
second [and third] rather than the first [and third] with _mafsiqim_,
e.g. Deu 10 [1]:17.

There is a parallel parsing problem in prayer (I
promise to stop alliterating here) in _Qedushah_ for Shacharis. "בקול
רעש גדול אדיר וחזק".

"גדול אדיר וחזק" is a list of adjectives. But,
"קול רעש גדול" is an expression in seifer Yechezqeil: It appears first
in 3:12, which is what we're referring to, "ותשאני רוח ואשמע אחרי קול
רעש גדול 'ברוך כבוד ה ממקומו." (And again in 38:18, Gog makes a "_ra'ash
gadol al admat Yisrael_". Probably something there about _ge'ulah_ and
unification of worlds... Anyway...) So we're saying something like,
"Then, in a "_qol ra'ash gadol_" that is "_adir vechazaq_". A list, but
the binding across the list is uneven. That's the parallel I
promised.

"_Adir vechazaq mashmi'im qol_" grates on my nerves, because
it sounds like Adir veChazaq are nouns who they let hear the noise, and
we're not talking about G-d hearing anything. A(nd can we ever say that
a mal'akh, who has no free will, "allows [G-d] to hear" something?
"_Mashmi'im" _would be an odd choice of verb.) But I think I figured our
how the nusach may have gotten this way. Perhaps it began as a
hypercorrection, by making too much of a point of pausing between
Yechezqeil's "_qol ra'ash gadol_" and our descriptive "_adir vechazaq_".

Micha Berger Here is the test to find whether
your mission
micha at aishdas.org on Earth is
finished:
http://www.aishdas.org if you're alive, it isn't.