[Mesorah] Tizku vs Tizki

Michael Hamm msh210 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:41:53 PDT 2013

Today, R' Seth Mandel <mandels at ou.org> wrote:
<< However, tizkeh l'mitzvot is not a traditional Jewish greeting, but
rather a modern invention.  IMHO, it is an excellent one, and I use
it, but one cannot claim to be following masorah if one uses a
Galiciane or a Litivish or a German pronunciation, since it was never
used in Europe.  <snip>
The first time I heard it was in EY about 50 years ago.  I never heard
anyone from Europe, or from Yemen, or from Syria ever use the
blessing.  <snip>  I believe it is was an innovation in EY once most
people, even charedim, started speaking Modern Hebrew, maybe not in
shul, but on the street. >>

You've inspired me to search for it.

R' Avraham Palagi (Palachi), son of R' Chayim, writes in his sefer
Sh'mo Avraham ( http://www.hebrewbooks.org/37849 , page 12 in the
PDF), "divchataos vaashamos lo yitachen shey'varech lachavero tizke
l'mitzvos laasos od ken d'ha liklala yechashev d'yecheta od hapaam" --
which sounds to me as though he's using a known turn of phrase (as,
otherwise, he would probably omit the word "l'mitzvos").

R' Avraham Ankava (whoever that is) uses the term in his Kerem Chemed
( http://www.hebrewbooks.org/1019 , page 202 in the PDF, end of the
first paragraph of #46).

M. Hamm