[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Jun 21 07:39:59 PDT 2013

It ain't me that wrote that/T'was not I who penned that.
However, to address Micha's point: in South Eastern Europe, the u sound first changed to what is in German on Hungarian the u umlaut sound (which was used in Oberland), and then to the i sound (used in Galitzia).  This did not depend on vowel length.  The descriptive statement " I know of no one who pronounces it "bawrikh."  Those (Polak, Galitzianer, Unterland Hungarians) who pronounce the last syllable as "ee/i" pronounce the first syllable as "oo," yielding "boorikh" is therefore correct, although should be modified to "most Polaks," since there were some who would have pronounced it "bawrikh."
Micha's comment, however, may also be correct, if one modifies it to refer to the English "aw" sound, rather than referring to it as a qomatz.  A short "aw" is used by many in some situations, although not specifically to realize a qomatz, but sometimes used for a sh'wa, just as sometimes an "eh" or an "ih" sounds is used by some for a sh'wa.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel