[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 21 07:27:14 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:50:22AM +0000, Mandel, Seth wrote:
: I know of no one who pronounces it "bawrikh."  Those (Polak, Galitzianer, Unterland Hungarians) who pronounce the last syllable as "ee/i" pronounce the first syllable as "oo," yielding "boorikh."

While back on the subject of Galitzianisher Hebrew... Some qamatzes do
remain like those of East Europeans from Poland or Litta. My leading
theory is assimilation, but it's also possible that in the original
havarah, only a qoomatz goodoil was a long /U/ and the other qomatz is
a legacy of qoomatz qootoon (and not learning diqdiq).

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
micha at aishdas.org        excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
http://www.aishdas.org   'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
Fax: (270) 514-1507      trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya