[Mesorah] R'tzon Konam vs. Koneihem

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Jun 21 07:25:00 PDT 2013

This is "corect" in Biblical Hebrew, not in L'shon Chazal.
The fact that all old mss. have qonehem, whether Ashk'nazi, S'faradi, or Teimani, settles the question about what was original.
Later siddurim changed many things, but most were ignorant of Chazal Hebrew, and what they did was hypercorrections, not how Chazal originally composed the text.
That is linguistically and historically.  I will not get involved in sociopolitical arguments about whether one should follow this that or the other siddur, rabbi, or grammarian.  So I will just say what the facts are, not prescriptively what one "should" do.  Cf. the grammatical rules invented by English grammarians, like "no double negatives," even though they were standard in English (and are still mandatory in Russian and other languages).  Languages are not mathematically construction, and double negatives (or triple or quadruple, as are found in Chaucer and Shakespeare) are not to be treated as if they were mathematical equations.
But most English speakers were taught in school the grammars that grammarians wrote, and so stopped using double negatives.  Only the "unlettered folk" still use them, e.g. "I ain't seen nothin'."  All the forms in that are grammatically correct according to traditional English, but not according to grammarians.  Similarly "qonehem."
What should one say? that is a socio-political decision.

Seth Mandel