[Mesorah] no dagesh in b-k-sh

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Jul 14 12:43:19 PDT 2013

In sooth, R. Michael has touched on a significant point that is important in the Masorah, but not treated in grammars.
Some words almost always lose the doubling when there is a sh'wa under the second letter of the root; some almost never do, and for many, it depends on the masorah.  B-Q-Sh always loses.  So, I believe, does the root H-L-L.  On the other hand, as simlar root, R-N-N, almost never does.
These belong in the category of hidden facts of the Masorah.  This issue is further complicated by the fact that some of these forms that lack the dagesh nevertheless have a sh'wa na‘, as shown as a hataf vowel in the Aleppo Codex (such as almost all instances of H-L-L), whereas B-Q-Sh never does.
The latter root has various mysteries associated with it that I once wrote about in a paper of long-ago, forgotten lore, and the chances of my resurrecting it are described by that Raven in Poe's poem.  However, I just would point out that here is a place where those interested in deep mysticism can find sufficient material to lead to a real discussion of the Mysteries of the Masorah.  Something that Yeivin has made possible with his book about the Aleppo Codex.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel