[Mesorah] no dagesh in b-k-sh

Michael Hamm msh210 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 10:37:10 PDT 2013

Seemingly in Tanach most every piel verb with a three-letter root has
a dagesh in the second root letter.

(If exceptions exist where the second letter is an approximant (lamed
or yod or vav) or a nasal (mem or nun), that won't surprise me, as
IINM those exceptions also come up after he hay'dia.  I don't know
why, and I'd love to, but that's not my point now.)

B-k-sh ("seek") seems to be an exception: almost every instance of a
conjugation of bikesh, *in words in which the kuf has a sh'va*, has no
dagesh in the kuf.  How come?

Kol tuv,

Michael Hamm